Mascot War Memorial is a granite column, topped with an 'Orb of the Empire', which is decorated with a Victoria Cross. The column is positioned on a large, rectangular pedestal, which is inset with panels inscribed with a honour roll and dedication for the First World War. The foundation stone is at the base of the front of the pedestal. It is flanked by three plaques for the First World War and subsequent wars, which were added at later dates.
The memorial stands on a grassed mound, flanked by two lamp posts. The mound is surrounded by crushed gravel paving and garden beds, featuring rosemary plants. A flagpole stands to the left of the mound.
The foundation stone for the memorial was laid on 4 December 1920 and the finished piece was unveiled the following year on 3 April. A detailed description of the memorial was reported in The Daily Telegraph on 1 September 1922:
The foundation contains 1400 cubic feet of concrete, and the steps are of Bowral trachyte. The lamp bases are of polished red granite, and the nameplate is of axed and polished grey granite, supporting the super-structure, which is also of axed and polished granite, with polished trachyte panels, bearing the inscriptions and names of the fallen, engraved and finished in gold.
A heavily wrought cornice supports an emblematical device of the shield and palms of victory in electro bronze. The whole is finished with a massive polished grey granite column supporting the Orb of the Empire, embellished with bronze mountings and Victoria Cross.
The movement for the memorial was initiated by Ald. T. H. Hicks, on his election as Mayor in January, 1920, and the foundation-stone was laid by him on December 4, 1920.
The memorial was designed by Mr. W. Martin, architect, of Glebe, and the work carried out by Mr. A. Goode, A.I.F., sculptor, of Sydney. Alderman R. S. King acted as hon. secretary to the movement, and Alderman F. J. Chipman was hon. treasurer.
The memorial is located in well-maintained Mascot Memorial Park, in which commemorative services take place. Set into the mound at the four corners of the memorial are concrete squares, possibly for the members of the catafalque party to stand on during services. On either side of the memorial are the Mascot Victory in Europe Memorial and the Mascot Victory in the Pacific Memorial.