Mascot War Memorial

Mascot War MemorialMascot War Memorial, with surrounding gardensMascot War Memorial, from right side, showing grassed mound with concrete squareMascot War Memorial, close-up of front of pedestalMascot War Memorial, close-up of dedication panelMascot War Memorial, close-up of foundation stoneMascot War Memorial, close-up of left plaqueMascot War Memorial, close-up of centre plaque Mascot War Memorial, close-up of right plaqueMascot War Memorial, close-up of left honour roll panelMascot War Memorial, close-up of back honour roll panelMascot War Memorial, close-up of right honour roll panelMascot War Memorial, close-up of shield at base of column
Description

The Mascot War Memorial is a granite column, topped with an 'Orb of the Empire', which is decorated with a Victoria Cross. The column is positioned on a large, rectangular pedestal, which is inset with panels inscribed with a honour roll and dedication for the First World War. The foundation stone is at the base of the front of the pedestal. It is flanked by three plaques for the First World War and subsequent wars, which were added at later dates. 

Two lamp posts are positioned to the front of memorial and one flagpole is on the left. The memorial stands on a small grassed mound, which is surrounded by crushed gravel paving. The area is surrounded by gardens beds featuring rosemary plants. 

The foundation stone for the memorial was laid on 4 December 1920 and the finished work was unveiled the following year on 3 April. A detailed description of the memorial was reported in The Daily Telegraph on 1 September 1922:

The foundation contains 1400 cubic feet of concrete, and the steps are of Bowral trachyte. The lamp bases are of polished red granite, and the nameplate is of axed and polished grey granite, supporting the super-structure, which is also of axed and polished granite, with polished trachyte panels, bearing the inscriptions and names of the fallen, engraved and finished in gold.

A heavily wrought cornice supports an emblematical device of the shield and palms of victory in electro bronze. The whole is finished with a massive polished grey granite column supporting the Orb of the Empire, embellished with bronze mountings and Victoria Cross.

The movement for the memorial was initiated by Ald. T. H. Hicks, on his election as Mayor in January, 1920, and the foundation-stone was laid by him on December 4, 1920.

The memorial was designed by Mr. W. Martin, architect, of Glebe, and the work carried out by Mr. A. Goode, A.I.F., sculptor, of Sydney. Alderman R. S. King acted as hon. secretary to the movement, and Alderman F. J. Chipman was hon. treasurer.

The memorial is located in well-maintained Mascot Memorial Park, in which commemorative services take place. Set into the grass at the four corners of the memorial are concrete squares, possibly for the members of the catafalque party to stand on during services. On either side of the memorial are the Mascot Victory in Europe Memorial and the Mascot Victory in the Pacific Memorial

Materials
  • Bronze
  • Concrete
  • Granite
Inscription

Front, dedication panel 

Mascot War Memorial

Their name liveth
evermore

Erected
by
the People of Mascot
in grateful memory of
their fallen heroes
1914–1919

Foundation stone

This stone was
laid by
Thos. Hicks, Mayor
4th Dec., 1920

Front, left plaque

This plaque commemorates 
the Centenary of the Armistice
11 November 1918
Markting the end of World War 1
1914-1918

Botany Historical Trust and Bayside Council

11 November 2018

Front, centre plaque

Municipality of Botany 

This plaque has been erected
to commemorate
the memory of those persons
who made the supreme sacrifice
in the service of their country
during 
World War II and all subsequent wars
including 
Korea Borneo Malaya Vietnam  

Ald. J. Slattery Mayor.  
R. D. Madden Town Clerk

25th April. 1967.

Front, right plaque

This plaque commemorates and pays
tribute to those who made the
supreme sacrifice and to all citizens
of Mascot who served their country
and fought for freedom during
World War II
September 1939-August 1945

Bayside Council

25 August 2019

Left, back and right sides

[Names]

Veterans listed on this memorial

Rank Given Name Family Name Conflict/s Fate Service No. Service Campaign Link
Edward Bell World War 1 KIA view
David W Beatie World War 1 KIA view
Chas C Smith World War 1 KIA view
Charles C Smith World War 1 KIA view
Charles Wilmont World War 1 KIA view
Cecil McGregor World War 1 KIA view
C C Smith World War 1 KIA view
Bede Ireland World War 1 KIA view
Aubrey Munger World War 1 KIA view
Arthur E Stiff World War 1 KIA view
Address
Mascot Memorial Park
149 Coward Street
Mascot NSW 2020
Local Government Area
  • Bayside Council
Setting
  • Garden/park
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
  • Column/pillar
Recorded by
Kingsgrove North High School. NSW War Memorials Register.
Established date
1920-1921
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
1921-04-03
Dedication date
03 April 1921
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18
  • Second World War, 1939–45
  • Korean War, 1950–53
  • Malayan Emergency, 1950–60
  • Indonesian Confrontation, 1963–66
  • Vietnam War, 1962–75
  • All conflicts

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial