Moree and District War Memorial Education Centre (Library War Memorial)
The War Memorial is set within a designated alcove area within the Library. The centre itself is a dedicated war memorial, governed by its own Act of Parliament, established 1962.
A polished timber panel is surmounted by the words: 'LEST WE FORGET'. An illuminated Roll of Honour is enclosed in a glass case with a sword immediately behind it, affixed to the panel. Two electrically lit red Flames of Remembrance are on either side of the sword's hilt. The Inscription is mounted on the wall with the Australian National and Union Jack flags on either side. The Northern Regional Library & Information Service, based at Moree, has conducted extensive research into the considerable contribution made by returned service personnel from the local Aboriginal communities. A nearby glass display case contains photographs of some of the many Moree and surrounding district indigenous servicemen and women who answered the call in time of war.
SEE ALSO ENTRY FOR: The Leonard Victor Waters Memorial Park - Boggabilla
- Moree and District War Memorial Education Centre Act. Act No. 15, 1962.
- Moree Plains Shire Council Ordinary Council Meeting 1 July 2010 - Public Business Paper
- Moree Plains Shire Council 3 February 2011 Ordinary Council Meeting
- Government Gazette of the State of New South Wales, Week No. 3/2011, Friday 21 January 2011, pg.119.
"Moree & District War Memorial Education Centre"
Large dedication plaque:
"Lest We Forget"
"This Memorial is
the gift of
The Women's Auxillary of
the Moree Sub Branch
of the RSS & AILA"
'It is a good and noble thing for a Community to build a War Memorial
In it we express our thanks that we live in this country
as a free and independent people.
We express our realisation that we owe this freedom to
those men and women who gave themselves, and all that
they had, in order that the ideals of freedom, justice
and truth might prevail in our country, and in the life
of the whole world.
By the erection of this War Memorial Education Centre,
dedicated to the memory of those brave and noble souls,
we give expression in a tangible and practical fashion, t
o our sense of gratitude for this spirit of service and
self sacrifice, and also towards Almighty God, who is the
source and strength of all man’s highest thoughts and
Finally, it is very fitting and right that these high and
noble ideals should be incorporated in, and woven into
the very fibre and texture of our whole educational system,
and that the boys and girls of to-day, and the children
of the generations yet to come, should remember those
who paid in blood, and tears, and sacrifice, i
n order that this heritage might be handed on to them,
as a foundation, strong and sure, upon which they may build
an enduring structure based upon the splendid pillars
of knowledge and wisdom of strength and beauty , and
of truth and justice.
An extract from the dedication of
this building on 18th April 1963."
Framed printed Roll of Honour:
Roll of Honour
1914 - 1919
Villers - Bretonneux"
Roll of Honour Book:
"Roll of Honour
of those who fell in the War of 1939 - 1945"