An ornately carved timber honor roll for the First World War, located behind the altar of All Saints Anglican Church, Moree. The roll contains three panels. The central panel is decorated with a large golden cross, surrounded by the dedication. The left and right panels contain the names.
The Gwydir Examiner on 27 August 1915 reported "a tablet in honor of the members of the Church of England who fell in the war will be erected in All Saints' Moree, and their names inscribed". On Tuesday 10 December 1918 a meeting of the parishioners of the All Saints' Church at Moree was held to consider the erection of a memorial. After discussion, "it was decided that the memorial take the form of a reredos to be placed in the sanctuary of the church" (Moree Gwydir Examiner, 13 December 1918). It was also decided to erect a tablet in honour of the names on the reredos.
Five months later, the Moree Gwydir Examiner on 13 May 1919 reported the reredos was being placed in the church and was to be dedicated by the Armidale Bishop. It was described as "a very handsome piece of work in carved oak and of decorative Gothic design" with a number of embodied Australian flowers.
A week later the Moree Gwydir Examiner on 20 May 1919 described the dedication that took place on Sunday 18 May. The report provides a detailed account of the dedication as well as a full description of the reredos.
HONOR ROLL of PARISHIONERS
WHO FELL DURING THE GREAT WAR 1914 1918
THE REREDOS IS PLACED TO THEIR MEMORY.
Left and right panels
Help us record history by adding to its record.