2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government is interviewing WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
A large and stately reinforced concrete building, with wide verandah supported by concrete columns leading to five sets of double entry doors. Several plaques are attached to the exterior walls.
A meeting was held in the Moree Council Chambers in April 1918 to discuss the construction and financing of a Moree Memorial Town Hall. A Memorial Hall Committee was shortly formed.
On 18 November 1920 the Moree Gwydir Examiner reported the working plans for a Soldiers Memorial Hall were being prepared.
In July 1921, the Moree Memorial Committee was informed "the trustees had been successful in arranging for the erection of the hall which is to cost £14,000 in accordance with the plans and specifications" (Moree Gwydir Examiner, 26 July 1921). The foundation stone was laid later that year on 16 November.
By May 1922 operations had commenced and the plans designed by Ross and Rowe architects of Sydney were similar to early proposals. Full details of the project were published in the Moree Gwydir Examiner on 29 May 1922. A separate School of Arts building was to be erected on the northern side of the hall. The tender from Sydney builder Charles Schultz for £13,000 was accepted. Late in July 1922 the committee advertised for 500 subscribers at £5 each and the official opening of the hall took place on 17 April 1923.
Moree War Memorial Hall
This plaque is a replica of the original
stone adjacent and below
Moree Memorial Hall
This stone was laid by
The Right Honorable William Morris Hughes P. C. K. C. Prime Minister of the Commonwealth 16-11-21
in his absence by Arthur Carter
Moree Memorial Hall
Opened by Sir Walter E. Davidson K.C.M.G.
Governor of New South Wales
April 17th 1923
Help us record history by adding to its record.