Formerly the Anglican Memorial Church. The new church became St Martin's Memorial Church when it was dedicated.
In May 1919 the parishioners from St John's Church of England in Mullumbimby met to discuss the building of a Peace Memorial Church. The Tweed Daily on 26 November 1921 described the laying of the foundation stone. Apart from official representatives, a guard of honour was formed by the Mullumbimby Light Horse Troop and Scouts. By February 1924, about one-third of the bricks had been laid under the supervision of Mr King and an appeal was made for volunteers to undertake earth filling. In April a public Service of Commemoration was held within the walls. The Mullumbimby Star on 15 January 1925 reported that the memorial church designed by the diocesan architect Louis Williams of Melbourne, had reached the final stages of construction. The Nambucca and Bellinger News on 17 April 1925 described the completed and dedicated church.
The parishioners presented a tabernacle on the 50th anniversary of the dedication of St Martin's War Memorial Church, 25 March 1925 to 25 March 1975. It was dedicated on 6 April 1975 by the Right Reverend Donald N. Shearman, Bishop of Grafton.
50th anniversary plaque:
This gift from the parishioners
the 50th anniversary of the
War Memorial Church
25th March 1925 - 25th March 1975
Dedicated 6th April 1975
by the Rt. Rev. Donald N. Shearman
Bishop of Grafton.
Rev. Canon C.R. Cornelius
Help us record history by adding to its record.