Skip to main content

St Martin's Memorial Church, Mullumbimby

St Martin's Memorial Church, Mullumbimby
Middle
Image
Image
Mullumbimby St Martin's Anglican Church 50th anniversary tabernacle
Image
Mullumbimby St Martin's Church tabernacle description plaque
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

Formerly the Anglican Memorial Church, the new church became St Martin's Memorial Church when it was dedicated on 25 March 1925. 

In May 1919 the parishioners from St John's Church of England in Mullumbimby met to discuss the building of a Peace Memorial Church. The Mullumbimby Star on 1 December 1921 described the laying of the foundation stone on 24 November. Apart from official representatives, a guard of honour was formed by the Mullumbimby Light Horse Troop and Scouts.

By February 1924, approximately one-third of the bricks had been laid under the supervision of Mr King and an appeal was made for volunteers to undertake earth filling. In April a public Service of Commemoration was held within the walls. The Mullumbimby Star on 15 January 1925 reported the church, designed by the diocesan architect Louis Williams of Melbourne, had reached the final stages of construction. The Nambucca and Bellinger News on 17 April 1925 described the completed and dedicated church.

The parishioners presented a tabernacle to the church on 25 March 1975, the 50th anniversary of the dedication. The tabernacle was dedicated on 6 April 1975 by the Right Reverend Donald N. Shearman, Bishop of Grafton.

Inscription

50th anniversary plaque

A.M.D.G.

This gift from the parishioners
commemorates
the 50th anniversary of the
dedication
of
St. Martin's
War Memorial Church

25th March 1925 - 25th March 1975
Dedicated 6th April 1975
by the Rt. Rev. Donald N. Shearman
Bishop of Grafton.

Rev. Canon C.R. Cornelius
Rector

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
38-40 Stuart Street
Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Local Government Area
Byron Shire
Setting
Roadside
Memorial type
Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Year of construction
1921-1925
Dedication date
25 March 1925
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18