St Martin's Church First World War Memorial Windows, Mullumbimby

St Martin's Church memorial windows
Description

The memorial in St Martin's Church consists of three stained glass windows. The Northern Star on 23 May 1925 reported the newly arrived windows were designed by the artist Bustard and were completed by Mr McGuire in Messrs R. H. Exton's Studio in Brisbane. It explained the left window represents the "Good Shepherd", the right window represents "the Master in His Mother's Arms" and the central window depicts "the parish crest of St Martin's." The paper identified the donors as Mesdames F. Ward, C. Armbruster and Law, with the central window being dedicated to the memory of Frederick Charles Law killed in action and donated by his mother. The Mullumbimby Star on 4 June 1925 described the memorial windows and their installation in detail.

Notes on veteran: Frederick Charles Law of Mullumbimby was killed in action as a trooper in the 5th Australian Light Horse Regiment on 26 November 1915 at Gallipoli, Dardanelles in Turkey.

Inscription

Central window

VOS AUTEN DIXI AMICOS

To the Glory of GOD and
in the holy Catholic Faith
of our Lord Jesus Christ
and in honour of St Martin
this War Memorial
Church is Dedicated
the Feast of the
Annunciation 1925

Address
38-40 Stuart Street
Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Local Government Area
  • Byron Shire
Setting
  • Building – inside
Memorial type
  • Stained glass window
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1925
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
05/31/1925
Dedication date
31 May 1925
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial