Mullumbimby Civic Memorial Hall

Description

Civic Hall constructed from red brickDescription supplied by Architect Mr Andrew Howell:

Construction on the Mullumbimby Memorial Hall began in 1928 and the hall was finished the following year in 1929. Initial discussion about a suitable memorial began in 1919 and it wasn't until nine years later that construction began. Delays were caused by problems raising the necessary funds and debate about the most suitable form that the memorial should take. It was finally dedicated as a School of Arts Memorial Hall in November 1929 with funds coming from a combination of money raised by public subscription and money donated by the Local Council. The structure is a brick hall with a stepped brick gable and a deep set portico at the front. At some time (possibly in the 1950s) the function of the hall was changed to a 'Civic Hall' as the 'Art School' fell into disuse.

Within the portico is mounted a Marble Plaque inscribed with 'Mullumbimby School of Arts Memorial Hall'. This inscription is enclosed within an carved, upturned laurel (or olive) wreath bound with a ribbon. The ribbon here is derived from Fasces which were decorative elements (axes and rods bound with a ribbon) used by the Romans to represent justice and judicial authority. In the Fasces the Axes represented authority whilst the Rods represented punishment. The ribbon represents the interlocking nature of these two elements of civic authority and accordingly the ribbon on this decorative element has its origin in Roman civic decoration. Traditionally the olive or laurel wreath (often indistinguishable) was used to represent prowess and/or honour, both themes which were applicable to remembering those who had served and those who had died in the Great War. The Olive and the Laurel Tree were also evergreen trees and so were used to represent eternity and often appear in funerary wreaths - SEE 'traditions Menu'

Inscription

[portico plaque]'Mullumbimby School of Arts Memorial Hall'

Address
Dalley Street
Mullumbimby NSW 2482
Location/surrounding area
Memorial Location
Recorded by
Mr Andrew Howell, Architect
Established date
1929
Dedication date

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial