North Bondi War Memorial
This war memorial has plaques that give descriptions of every war Australia has been in, (or a battle therein), and to Peacekeeping efforts on a modern 'S' shape sculpture.
The memorial site also pictures all 98 Victoria Cross recipients.
A granite 'Lest We Forget' wall with the badges of the services.
Finally it has a black granite wall dedicated to the first Aboriginal commissioned officer, Captain Reginald Saunders MBE wall with a famous quote.
Valued at over $430,000, the new war memorial was designed by Bryan Bathgate of Curtain Bathgate & Somers Architects and the commissioned sculpture is by Di Emme Creative Solutions.
The sculptural essence of the new memorial is to symbolize the solidarity, unison, courage and spirit of the Australian mateship at war.
The sailor, soldier and airman/woman are represented in a palette of materials:
- Stainless steel blades 300mm width representing the military serviceman /woman of the ADF triservices;
- Concrete curved blocks 150mm width x 300 high representing battlement;
- 20mm x300mm glass inserts to the concrete block between the stainless steel blades representing the spirit and eternal flame presence when lit;
- All collectively arranged from 800mm high to 2400mm and bolted together to create the structural integrity of the sculpture that provides the foundation of the memorial representing strength and unison in numbers.
- The use of aged bronze represents the triservices in the form of the service badges of the Royal Australian Navy, Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force;
- Three bronze cladded pillars with a montage of iconic images from each Australian Defence Force service.
- War diary excerpts from all wars and conflicts that Australia has been engaged in are located through the memorial sculpture in the form of bronze plaques which provide a narrative and personal experience of the memorial.
The large “S” shape memorial sculpture is made of marine grade stainless steel, glass and stone with four bronze pillars in the middle with the words “Endurance”, “Mateship”, “Courage” and “Sacrifice” inscribed.
Throughout the sculpture there are 20 descriptive plaques of each war Australia has been in and one plaque dedicated to peacekeeping
Reginald ‘Reg’ Saunders Wall
The Capt. Reginald Saunders MBE Granite Wall recognises Australia’s first Aboriginal commissioned officer. It is emblazoned with the following quote
“On Anzac eve we dug in among friends. At last I felt like an Anzac, and imagine there were 600 others like me.”
This quote is in bronze lettering across a large Black Granite Wall with a cast bronze plaque that reads “Capt. Reginald Walter Saunders MBE – the first Aboriginal commissioned officer, said on 24 April 1951 at the Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War.” This Wall overlooks Bondi Beach.
Victoria Cross Wall
The Victoria Cross Recipients Wall is made of Black Granite, and shows laser images, names, rank, and theatre of war for all 98 Australian VC Award recipients.
“Lest We Forget” Wall
The words “Lest We Forget” are emblazoned on a Black Granite with aged bronze lettering along with aged cast bronze badges of the Royal Australian Navy, Army and Royal Australian Air Force.
For further information, please see the following website: Tobruk House
A copy of the opening ceremony booklet can be found here.
'Endurance', 'Mateship', 'Courage', 'Sacrifice'
Reginald ‘Reg’ Saunders Wall
'On Anzac eve we dug in among friends. At last I felt like an Anzac, and imagine there were 600 others like me' 'Capt. Reginald Walter Saunders MBE – the first Aboriginal commissioned officer, said on 24 April 1951 at the Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War'
Lest We Forget Wall
'Lest We Forget'
This War Memorial was donated to the community of Waverley on the 27th November 2011 by The Returned & Services League of Australia and opened by Brigadier D. T. Mulhall, AM, CSC Commander 17th Combat Service Support Brigade Australian Army Donald Rowe, OAM RSL NSW State President CR John Wakefield Mayor of Waverley North Bondi RSL Sub-Branch Executives & Trustees Frederick D. ALderman, President & Trustee David J. Griffiths, DCM, PatronMartyn Bell, CSC, President North Bondi RSL Club Ltd. David S. Sims, Vice President & Trustee Norbert C. Keough, JP, Honorary Secretary William Davis, Vice President Andrew Trickett, Treasurer Frederick D. Hyland, JP, Trustee
Help us record NSW history
|Charles Groves Wright||Anderson||view|