Memorial erected over grave commemorates Lieutenant T. Hammand, Lieut. R. Bedford, Corpl. J. McKee and Bugler C. Bennett, killed in April 1891 by the premature explosion of a submarine mine during the Middle Head Easter encampment.
The upper portion of the memorial is of marble. Resting on the upper tier of bluestone is a marble base 4ft. 6in. by 4ft. 6in. The several faces of the marble base bear trophies of crossed swords, with helmet and crossed sculis, the accoutrements, &c., having been executed in bronze. On the upper portion of the marble base there is a pleasing arrangement of cable. Rising from the base is a die having four tablets, facing the north, east, south, and west respectively. The die is enriched with laurel, and facing each point of the compass there is a cherub. Above these again is a dome supporting a grenade.
The memorial rests upon a foundation of concrete laid to a depth of 7ft., occupies 9 square ft. of ground, and rises to a height of 23ft. The total weight of the structure is 21 tons, there being 11 tons of marble.
Erected at the entrance to Waverley Cemetery, it was unveiled on Sunday, 6 May 1894 by Major General Hutton in the presence of representatives of all branches of the military force. [1894 'The Middle Head Disaster.', The Sydney Mail and New South Wales Advertiser, 12 May, p. 961.]
[Separate but placed at the base of the monument is a marble stone tablet]
Least We Forget - Stone of Rememberance Anzac Day 25 April 2010
[The base is formed of three tiers of bluestone, on each face of the uppermost of which have been cut in relief the names:]
Hammand - Bedford - McKee - Bennett
Corp J A McKee Aged 25 years
Bugler C Bennett Aged 23 years
Lieut. T Hammand Aged 38 years
Lieut. R Bedford Aged 36 years
This monument is erected by their comrades of the miltary forces of New South Wales
Help us record history by adding to its record.