Transvaal Avenue consists of 60 existing trees of various species. The avenue was opened on 31st August 1900. A total of 107 trees were planted at the opening ceremony, and each tree was named for generals in the Boer war battlefields and victories. The avenue follows a curved path between the entrance gates at Eligin Street/Walker Street and Devonshire Street. An account of the opening ceremony and the construction of the Avenue was published in the Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners Advocate on September 1, 1900, (page 8).
Help us record history by adding to its record.