In June and July 2014, the Wauchope Gazette published a series of articles written by Ray Cooper on the history of the Wauchope Hospital.
Medicine in the district and hospital services commenced with the arrival of Dr. William Begg by March 1912. In time a private hospital 'Wildfels' was developed and by 1935, Dr Begg decided to develop a new cottage hospital.
Throughout the 1940s, negotiations continued a Hospital Board formed to raise funds for construction of a Public Hospital at Wauchope.
On 21 June 1944, Governor John de Vere Wakehurst and C.A. Kelly, Minister for Health gazetted the name 'The Wauchope District Memorial Hospital'. It took several years of negotiations and fund-raising before the State Government reported in April 1954 that funds would be made available next year to commence construction of the Memorial Hospital.
Help us record history by adding to its record.