By July 1920, a Tamworth Soldier's Memorial Hall fund was established. Some 500 people attended a Tamworth meeting held in April 1921 to construct a war memorial and a town hall was decided upon. A committee with representatives from a number of organizations was formed and a further meeting was held on 7 May. No action was taken but on 7 October 1926 the Tamworth Mayor W H Thibault conducted a public meeting in the Oddfellows Hall to establish a new committee to carry out the original project to erect a war memorial town hall.
In August 1927 the Tamworth Municipal Council decided to hold a competition for the design of a memorial town hall; Mr A S Hooke, president of the Institute of Architects, was to adjudicate. The first prize of £200 was awarded to Peddle, Thorp and Walker of George Street, Sydney. The Tamworth and District War Memorial Committee purchased the land and offered it to the council free of debt. The site was formerly occupied by the old Regan Palace Roller Flour Mill.
The 22 November 1934 issue of the Sun describes the official opening by Major-General Rosenthal in detail.
Above the front entrance:
TAMWORTH WAR MEMORIAL TOWN HALL
Tamworth War Memorial Town Hall
A Memorial To Service And Sacrifice
Officially Opened By
Major General Sir Charles Rosenthal KCB CMG DSO VD
20 November 1934
Chaplain Major William Mackenzie
Ald WH Thibault
Mr VG Kable
(Total Cost including land and furnishings: £29,000)
Help us record history by adding to its record.