2020 marks 75 years since the end of the Second World War. To commemorate this important year, the NSW Government interviewed WWII veterans about their experiences. Read our 75th Anniversary Stories.
The obelisk is approximately 6m in height and stands on a stepped sandstone base. The lower portion of the monument (the plinth) consists of light-coloured sandstone masonry featuring a simple curved decorative motif at its top. The plinth features the name 'ANZAC PARADE' on its northern side in large bronze lettering, and is located above the plaque. It is part of the Sydney Centennial Parklands memorials.
The obelisk has been relocated from the medium strip on Anzac Parade in to Moore Park.
The figs along this portion of Anzac Parade date from c.1868 when Botany Road, renamed Randwick Road, and now known as Anzac Parade was planted. It was originally planted with a double row of Norfolk Island Pines with an outer row of alternating Moreton Bay Figs and Monterey Pines. In 1917 the road was widened and the failed Monterey Pines were replaced with Port Jackson Figs. After WWI the road was named Anzac Parade, as Sydney’s most important boulevarde, to commemorate the Anzac troops (Centennial Parkland CMP 2001).
Listings for trees:
Randwick City Council
Randwick and District Historical Society – Centennial Park Conservation Area
The Ciry of Sydney Council - Significant Trees - Centennial Park - Moree Park/Anzac Parade
NSW Office Of Environment and Heritage
National Trust Register
National Heritage List
This remodelled roadway was officially opened by the Lady Mayoress of Sydney Mrs. R.D.Meagher 15th March 1917
The Rt. Hon. R.D.Meagher M.L.A.. Speaker Lord Mayor of Sydney
R.H.Brodrick City Architect
A.H.Brigg City Surveyor
T.H.Nesbitt Town Clerk
Help us record history by adding to its record.