Bellingen Memorial Hall

Bellingen Memorial Hall facade and surroundingsBellingen Memorial Hall left tabletBellingen Memorial Hall right tablet
Description

The hall at Bellingen was originally constructed as the Bellingen Memorial Hall and Literary Institute. A main feature is the First World War stained glass window

At a public meeting in Bellingen on 6 June 1919, it was moved a memorial hall be constructed. A committee was established and by October £523 had been raised. Permission was granted by the Attorney General's Department for them to conduct an art union to raise funds. At a further meeting in October 1920, it was decided to purchase the property 'Clarement' for the hall. 

Several years later the Sydney Morning Herald on 6 August 1928 reported, "The tender of Mr. B.C. Johnson, of Bellingen, has been accepted at £4187 for the erection of a new memorial hall and literary institute at Bellingen." The following year, The Daily Examiner on 30 April published an article describing the official opening held on Anzac Day. It was the second tribute to the district men who had served in the Great War. The hall was officially opened by Major-General C F Fox, CB, CMG, DSO, VD. 

Inscription

Front façade shield

SOLDIERS
MEMORIAL HALL
AND
LITERARY
INSTITUTE
1929

Front façade

BELLINGEN MEMORIAL HALL

Left tablet

Foundation tablet laid by
J. C. HILLIER ESQ.
President Bellingen
Branch R.S. & S.I. League

April 25th 1929.

Right tablet

Foundation tablet laid by
H. B. COPELAND ESQ.
President Of This
Memorial Hall & Institute

April 25th 1929.

Address
35 Hyde Street
Bellingen NSW 2454
Local Government Area
  • Bellingen Shire
Setting
  • Roadside
Memorial type
  • Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1929
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
04/25/1929
Dedication date
25 April 1929
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial