Bellingen Methodist Church First and Second World War Memorial Gates

Bellingen memorial gate, left gate panelBellingen memorial gate, right gate panel
Description

Gate pillars at the entrance to the former Bellingen Methodist Church. On the left pillar is a marble plaque dedicated to three men who died of wounds in conflict in the First World War. Their names are also dedicated on a baptismal font located in Bellingen Uniting Church in Hyde Street. On the right pillar is a similar plaque dedicated to five men who lost their lives in the Second World War. 

The Daily Examiner on 5 June 1948 reported the trustees of the Bellingen Methodist Church had decided "to erect a new fence and memorial gates in front of the Bellingen Church to commemorate two deceased trustees and Methodist youth who were killed in both world wars." At that stage, the work was almost complete and they reported is consisted of a "concrete fence with piping, a central arch and pillars of Gosford free-stone and the two gates."

The Church building is now occupied by a private business.

Inscription

Left gate

Dedicated
to
the memory of
our
immortal dead

First World War
1914-1918
[Names]

Their name liveth
for evermore.

Right gate

Dedicated
to
the memory of
our
immortal dead

Second World War
1939 - 1945
[Names]

We will
remember them.

Address
8 Church Street
Bellingen NSW 2454
Local Government Area
  • Bellingen Shire
Setting
  • Roadside
Memorial type
  • Gate/lychgate
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established date
1948
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
06/06/1948
Dedication date
06 June 1948
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18
  • Second World War, 1939–45

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial