The Berrima Remembrance Grove is located on the Old Hume Highway, near the roundabout intersection with Medway Road and Taylor Avenue, Berrima. It encompasses 11 separate groves, covering some 34 acres of roadside tree plantings. Nine of the groves contain bushrock markers and these are listed separately on the NSW War Memorials Register, under the 'Related memorials' heading below.
The grove was formerly part of the Remembrance Driveway, which runs from Sydney to Canberra. It was established by Queen Elizabeth II in 1954 as a living memorial to those who served in the Second World War. Sections of the driveway were sponsored by businesses, who were responsible for planting and maintenance. They also often erected markers, with dedication plaques in honour of their staff who had served.
In 2019, custodianship of the 11 Berrima groves was transferred to the Berrima Residents Association Inc., from the Remembrance Driveway Council. They were collectively renamed as the Berrima Remembrance Grove. At the time the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was signed, President of the Association Dr Eric Savage said:
This section of the former Remembrance Driveway ... was planted under the direction of Sir Cecil Hoskins with hundreds of trees between 1956 and 1965.
[The] MOU ensures that the 34 acre site at Berrima remains a ‘living memorial’, accessible to the community, for ‘reflection and remembrance’ of the sacrifice of Australian servicemen and servicewomen who served in WWII.
The Association recognises the important history of the establishment of the Berrima section of the driveway ... and the significant cultural, social, landscape, and horticultural heritage embodied in the ... plantings and plaques at Berrima.
Information and images for this listing were sourced from the report Berrima Remembrance Groves NSW Inventory by Chris & Charlotte Webb Pty Ltd, dated July 2021. This report was supported by a Community War Memorials Fund grant from the NSW Government.
Memorial does not include inscription.