A large bushrock memorial is located outside The Bunker Cartoon Gallery in Coffs Harbour. A plaque attached to the rock bears a dedication to those who served in the Second World War. The memorial is surrounded by a garden bed.
The gallery is located in a heritage listed Second World War bunker. The bunker was constructed in 1942-1943 to house the operations room for the No. 12 Operational Base Unit (OBU) of the Royal Australian Air Force (R.A.A.F.). It was later abandoned and in the 1990s was under threat of demolition. The Coffs Harbour Rotary Club restored the structure and a community group was formed to establish a Coffs Harbour Cartoon Collection. The galley was officially opened by Senator Richard Alston on 24 August 1996.
A Commemorative Grants Local Community Project grant was awarded on 30 April 2016 to install an interpretive panel to highlight the role of the bunker during the war. It was installed within the garden behind the memorial. It traces the history of the OBU, including details of the Commanding Officer, Edward J. Evans.
In honour of
those who served during W.W.II
No. 12 Operation Base Unit
Royal Australian Air Force
Bunker Cartoon Gallery
Officially opened by
Senator the Hon. Richard Alston
Federal Minister for Communications and the Arts
24th August 1996
"He who laughs, Lasts". Anonymous
The R.A.A.F. 'Operations Room' No. 12 Operational Base Unit
Perfect Invasion Point
No. 12 OBU...
Edward (Ted) J. Evans OAM