Former Wolli Creek Tram Depot War Memorial, Sans Souci


This figure of an Australian soldier with reversed arms is used as a cenotaph and is located in the Pemberton Reserve, adjacent to the Ramsgate RSL Club.

The figure was originally dedicated on 24 August 1919 at the Wolli Creek Tram Depot, Tempe. As pictured, the figure originally stood atop an impressive memorial within the depot's grounds.

In 1970, the marble figure was given to the Kyeemagh RSL and subsequently placed adjacent to the Kyeemagh RSL Club. The figure was painted (pictured) to cover damage inflicted by vandals. Following the 2018 closure of the Kyeemagh RSL Club, the Ramsgate RSL Sub-Branch became the memorial's custodian.

In 2020, the war memorial was relocated to Pemberton Reserve, adjacent to the Ramsgate RSL Club.

In 2002, a grant from the Department of Veterans' Affairs funded a restoration project which involved mounting the statue on a sandstone fronted plinth. The paint was removed from the statue to reveal its original appearance. The memorial is located adjacent to the Club.



D.R.T.& T Chief Engineers Branch

This monument was erected by the staff as a tribute to the honour and memory of their comrades who fought and died in the Great War 1914-1919. Unveiled and dedicated August 24, 1919 by Brig. Gen. C.I. Cox C.B., V.D., C.M.G., D.S.O.

Veterans listed on this memorial

Rank Given Name Family Name Conflict/s Fate Service No. Service Campaign Link
A C Leal World War 1 view
E E Lecchi World War 1 view
T J Lees World War 1 view
W A Lloyd World War 1 view
R W Lofts World War 1 view
J H MacLachlan World War 1 view
H G Marshall World War 1 view
A H Mason World War 1 view
C S Mathieson World War 1 view
B McKenna World War 1 view
Pemberton Reserve
50 Park Road
Sans Souci NSW 2219
Local Government Area
  • Bayside Council
  • Building – outside
Location status
In 2020, the war memorial was relocated to Pemberton Reserve, adjacent to the Ramsgate RSL Club.
Memorial type
  • Statue/sculpture/artwork
Recorded by
K S Clarke JP, President, Kyeemagh RSL Sub-Branch; updated by Kirsten Broderick, Bayside Council
Established date
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
Dedication date
24 August 1919
  • First World War, 1914–18

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial