Inverell Returned Servicemen's Memorial Club

Exterior of Inverell R.S.M. ClubDriveway of Inverell R.S.M. ClubEmblem of the Inverell R.S.M. Club LimitedPlaque detailing opening of extensions to Inverell R.S.M. Club
Description

Inverell Returned Servicemen's Memorial (R.S.M.) Club is a modern two-storey building, with a metal roof and an exterior comprised of brown bricks and painted concrete. The club houses several war memorials inside and on its grounds, including the Inverell R.S.M. Club Garden of Remembrance, which is located on the southern side of the club, next to the driveway on Evans Street. 

Planning for the official opening of the club was underway by mid-1951. On 11 June, the Inverell Times reported Sir John Northcott, Governor of NSW, had expressed "a desire to perform the official opening of the ... club when he visits Inverell for the Jubilee celebrations at the end of October." The ceremony was scheduled for Monday, 29 October, and the order of events was published in the Times on 22 October.

During his speech, club president Keith Scotter thanked the trustees, the honorary architect and solicitor, the building contractors, and other members of the club and Returned Servicemen's League for their efforts. Governor Northcott unveiled the plaque recording the occasion and turned the key to declare the club officially open (The Inverell Times, 31 October 1951).

The club underwent various extensions and modifications in the 1970s and 1980s, the completion of which have been recorded on several plaques attached to the building. Attached to the club is the Flanders Function Centre, also built as a memorial to those who served. 

Access inside the club restricted by its opening hours. 

Inscription

Plaque

This plaque is a tribute to those dedicated Committee members of the Inverell Sub-Branch
of the Returned Services League
who were responsible for the planning and building of
these premises in association with the Directors of the Inverell Returned Servicemen's
Memorial Club Ltd.
[Names]
'The price of liberty is eternal vigilance'

Plaque

These extensions were officially opened by
SIR COLIN HINES O.B.E., State President, New South Wales Branch of the Returned Services
League of Australia on 3rd October, 1981
commemorating the 60th Anniversary of the Inverell
Sub-branch R.S.L. receiving its charter 27th August, 1921
Trustees:
N.S.W. State Branch R.S.L.
H.N. Brissett, Esq,
G.F.A. Nichols, Esq
Ross H. Smith President       
Rodger E. Eyles Secretary Manager

Plaque

This plaque has been placed on this site by the direction of the members of the Inverell
Returned Servicemen's Memorial Club Limited in recognition of the dedication displayed
by the individual officer and member of the Board of Directors, whose name is inscribed
below during the planning and erection of this building 1970 & 1971
[Names]
Erected 1975
R.H. Smith Secretary
Manager
P.C. Lawry President

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute

Address
68-76 Evans Street
Inverell NSW 2360
Australia
Local Government Area
  • Inverell Shire
Setting
  • Roadside
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
  • Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson
Year of construction
1951
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date
29 October 1951
Conflict/s
  • All conflicts
Materials
  • Brass
  • Concrete
  • Glass