Skip to main content

Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park and Gates

Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park and Gates
Middle
Image
Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park and Gates
Image
Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park and Gates, left gate
Image
Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park and Gates, right gate
Image
Original invitation to the opening of the Lindfield Soldiers First World Memorial Park Gates, received by Mrs Florence Edith Nicol
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

This pair of stately sandstone arches act as the formal entrance to Lindfield Soldiers Memorial Park. Each arch includes a wrought iron pedestrian gate, and a matching vehicle gate spans the roadway between the arches, which leads into the park. 

The park and the gates were established as a memorial to local soldiers who served in the First World War. Four honour roll plaques are attached to the pillars of the arches, inscribed with almost 200 names. Two additional plaques state the park was originally called 'Lindfield Memorial Recreation Ground'.

The gates were designed by architect Henry Lockley, Esq. They were officially opened by Major-General Sir Charles Rosenthal on 4 November 1922. At the time, the honour rolls had not yet been hung in place.  

Image 4 above is of the original invitation for the opening sent to Mrs Florence Edith Nicol, widow of John Nicol whose name is on the roll. 

Notes on veteran names:

  • No records can be found for deceased veterans from this area by the names of F. Gray and A. Johnstone. The status codes for these veterans have been left as killed in action (KIA), as that is what is indicated by the memorial.
  • On the memorial, D. B. Fry is given as B. D. Fry.
  • All other status codes for deceased veterans have been taken from information in the Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour and Commemorative Roll and the National Archives of Australia.
Inscription

Lintel plaque, left arch

Lindfield Memorial

Lintel plaque, right arch

Recreation Ground

Pillar plaques

1914

1919

Honour rolls

Roll of Honour
[Names]
* Gave their lives 

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given name Family name Conflict/s Service No. Service Campaign Read more
G A ALLAN World War 1 view
L E ALLWORTH World War 1 view
M E ALLWORTH World War 1 view
NURSE N C ALLWORTH World War 1 view
F AMOS World War 1 view
R C ANDERSON World War 1 view
R Mc C ANDERSON World War 1 view
J W ANDREW World War 1 view
H BAKER World War 1 view
H W BAKER World War 1 view

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
62 Tryon Street
Lindfield NSW 2070
Local Government Area
Ku-ring-gai Council
Setting
Garden/park
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
Garden/park
Gate/lychgate
Recorded by
Ku-ring-gai Council. Jane Williamson. Janice Williams.
Year of construction
1922
Dedication date
04 November 1922
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18
Materials
Bronze
Sandstone