Long Plain Soldier's Memorial Hall

Long Plain Soldier's Memorial Hall, front exteriorLong Plain Soldier's Memorial Hall, free-standing sign

The memorial is a typically designed rural community hall. It is built from Cyprus pine with a gabled roofline of galvanised iron. At the front are a set of timber stairs with iron handrails on both sides. These lead to a small gabled portico where the front door is located. A sign with the name of the hall is attached to the front of the portico. The hall measures 50 feet by 25 feet, with capacity for 352 people. 

The hall was opened by Mrs Prince, Reverend A.M. Stevenson and Reverend Herbert Williams on Wednesday, 7 June 1922. The celebrations were advertised in The Inverell Times on 23 May, and the paper reported on the event in detail on 9 June. The article described the scene as follows:

Above the stage in bright ribbons was picked out the truly appropriate motto, "A Noble Cause," and outside the hall is a modest board setting out that the building is a memorial hall erected in the year of grace to the memory of our soldiers.

At the function, the Chairman of the Committee outlined the history of the hall which started with a public meeting on 26 October 1921 to discuss plans to erect the hall. Subscriptions were raised and a tender from Mr Cameron of Ross Hill in Inverell was accepted in 1922. The hall was constructed at a cost of £616, leaving a debt of £319. The article also stated:

It was further intended to plant about the hall five trees in memory of the five Long Plain boys who had died at the front.

  • Timber

Sign on front facade


Do you know more about this war memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute

5 Long Plain Lane
Inverell NSW 2360
Local Government Area
  • Inverell Shire
  • Roadside
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
  • Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson
Year of construction
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date
07 June 1922
  • First World War, 1914–18