St Andrew's Presbyterian War Memorial Church, Moree

St Andrew's War Memorial Presbyterian Church, from outsideSt Andrew's War Memorial Presbyterian Church, foundation stoneSt Andrew's War Memorial Presbyterian Church, plaque
Description

The St Andrew's War Memorial Church was erected in memory of Australians who served in the First and Second World Wars.

The North West Champion on 18 January 1951 reported "a storm of great violence" damaged houses in the town and district on 16 December 1948. The existing St Andrew's was among the worst damaged. As a direct result, the church was completely demolished in 1949. The newly rebuilt church was dedicated in 1957.

Inscription

Foundation stone

To the glory of God
and in memory of those who served their country
in the World Wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945

This stone was set by
His Excellency the Governor of New South Wales
Lieutenant-General Sir John Northcott
K.C.M.G. K.C.V.O. C.B.
on 21st March 1957

Plaque

The new
Saint Andrew's Church
was opened and dedicated
on the 30th of November 1957
to the glory of God
and in the place of
the former church building
which stood here from
1886-1949 when it was
destroyed by a storm and
to serve as a memorial
to those who sacrificed
themselves for their country
in the both World Wars.

Address
Cnr Albert and Auburn Streets
Moree NSW 2400
Local Government Area
  • Moree Plains Shire
Setting
  • Roadside
Memorial type
  • Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson OAM
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
11/30/1957
Dedication date
30 November 1957
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18
  • Second World War, 1939–45

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial