The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
The memorial is a large marble tablet, consisting of three white marble panels inset into a dark red marble surround. The inscription is located in the centre panel, above one list of those who served in the First World War. The remainder of the names are divided across the left and right panels. All the wording on the roll is incised and gilded.
The memorial was made/designed by Edwards and Roberts of Lismore. It was unveiled at St Mark's church in Nimbin on 14 December 1916 by Archdeacon Tress. On 20 December. the Northern Star reported on the well-attended ceremony, which attracted guests from surrounding churches. It was noted Mrs G.A. Hooper collected funds for the roll and that 47 names were already listed with more to be added.
By the end of 1919 the roll was completed, listing 70 names 25 of whom had fallen in the war. A special service was announced in the Star on 5 December, including an invitation to "all parents, relations, friends and all returned soldiers" to attend. The service was held on 10 December and the special preacher was Ven. Archdeacon Lampard, B.A. It was reported on in detail in the Star on 13 December, stating the names were read out by the Vicar before the Hon. W. Massey Greene performed the unveiling.
In 2023, the honour roll was moved from Nimbin and installed inside St Andrew's Anglican Church, Lismore. Access to the memorial is restricted to the opening hours of the church.
Note: Image 1 above shows the honour roll on the wall at St Mark's, prior to relocation to St Andrew's. It is shown on the wall at St Andrew's in image 2.
To the glory of God and in loving
memory of members of this church who
took part in the great war
[Names]
God save the King.
[Names]