The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
The memorial is a stained glass window, commemorating the 1,787 Australian servicemen who died in the Sandakan Death Marches or the infamous prisoner of war camp in Borneo during the Second World War. The window features a border of 45 leaves representing the number of local servicemen who died there. It also includes two inscriptions and depictions of wattle, water, a Latin cross and two cupped hands.
The window is located in the Warriors' Chapel inside St Andrew's Anglican Church at Lismore. It was dedicated on 11 August 2012.
The memorial was made by stained glass artist Bill Klease, of the Tweed Valley, and installed by Lismore glass artisan Greg Gallpen. Klease has designed other windows in the church dedicated to the First World War and the Vietnam War.
The window was partly funded by a 'Saluting Their Service Grant' awarded to the Lismore Rotary Club on 11 April 2012. It was the second stage in a two part commemoration of soldiers who died at Sandakan. The first was the unveiling of the Sandakan Death March Memorial in Lismore Commemorative Park on 27 August 2010.
Access to the memorial window is by appointment/tour.
The boys who played here once are gone
1942 SANDAKAN 1945
FAITHFUL AND TRUE