The memorial is a bronze plaque dedicated to those who served in the 1st Battalion, The Royal Australian Regiment. It has the three military insignias of the Australian Imperial Force, the 1st Battalion and the 1st Battalion Association at the top. It was designed by Tweed Shire Council and the association, who dedicated the plaque on 17 October 2009.
The memorial is located along the Tweed Heads Memorial Walkway in Chris Cunningham Park. It is attached to a lattice frame set within a garden bed. It is one of a number of plaques commemorating Australian military units and organisations positioned throughout the area.
Excerpt from the Australian War Memorial:
In 1945 Australia sent three units to Japan as part of the British Commonwealth Occupation Force (BCOF). Originally known as the 65th, 66th and 67th Infantry Battalions, they were raised from Australian Divisions stationed in New Guinea at the end of the Second World War. On 23 November 1948, the battalions were renamed the First, Second and Third Battalions, The Australian Regiment, respectively. The prefix "Royal" was granted by King George VI on 31 March 1949.
Over time, the 1st Battalion served in Korea, Vietnam, Malaya and in a peacekeeping role in Somalia, Timor, Afghanistan and Iraq.
Chris Cunningham Park is a site of Anzac Day and other commemorative services.
ROYAL AUSTRALIAN REGIMENT
1 Duty First
KOREA, MALAYA, VIETNAM, SOMALIA, TIMOR, AFGANISTAN, IRAQ
Dedicated by The First Battalion Association on 17th October 2009
We Will Remember Them