The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
This bronze plaque is in honour of the husbands of members of the Tweed Heads War Widows' Guild Club, who served and fell in conflicts in which Australia has been involved. The plaque was dedicated by Reverend John Wessell, Chaplain Tweed Heads/Coolangatta RSL Sub-Branch on 5 May 2008.
The memorial is located along the Tweed Heads Memorial Walkway in Chris Cunningham Park. It is attached to a lattice frame set within a garden bed. It is one of a number of plaques commemorating Australian military units and organisations positioned throughout the area.
War Widows NSW was founded in 1946 by Mrs Jessie Vasey, widow of Major-General George Alan Vasey who served in the First and Second World Wars. It was established by women, for women. It originated as a craft guild to supplement low level pensions. It has worked to improve the lives of war widows by lobbying for income support, the war widow's pension, as well as health and medical entitlements. It works as an organisation with the support of its staff and volunteers (Source: Australian War Widows NSW Ltd).
Chris Cunningham Park is a site of Anzac Day and other commemorative services.
War Widows' Guild Club
Established 26 July 1990
In memory of our husbands who served
and gave their lives for our country
Dedicated by Rev John Wessell - Chaplain
Tweed Heads/Coolangatta RSL Sub-Branch
Unveiled by Mr Gary Collins - Deputy Commissioner
NSW Department of Veterans' Affairs
5 May 2008