Wingham District Memorial Services Club

Wingham District Memorial Services Club, exteriorWingham District Memorial Services Club, 1966 unveiling plaque
Description

The Wingham District Memorial Services Club is a two storey building overlooking Central Park in Wingham. On the exterior of the top level are the emblems of the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Australian Navy and Australian Army. 

The club was established in the 1940s as a memorial to those from the Wingham district who fell in the First and Second World Wars. It was first opened by Mr J.R. Maitland, President of the Wingham Services Club, on Friday 21 October 1949. The ceremony was described in detail by The Northern Champion on 2 November.

A metal plaque on site details a further unveiling by Major-General Ivan N. Dougherty on 29 October 1966. 

Access inside the club is restricted to its opening times. 

Inscription

Facade

WINGHAM SERVICES CLUB

Plaque 

This tablet was unveiled by
MAJOR-GENERAL IVAN N. DOUGHERTY
C.B.E., D.S.A., E.D.,
Director of Civil Defence for N.S.W.
Saturday 29th. October 1966
to commemorate the erection of these premises
for
WINGHAM DISTRICT MEMORIAL SERVICES CLUB

Address
Wingham Services Club
28 Bent Street
Wingham NSW 2429
Local Government Area
  • Mid-Coast Council
Setting
  • Roadside
Location status
Original location
Memorial type
  • Building
Recorded by
Graham Wilson
Established date
1940s
Established Date format: 
$e_original_date = $entity->field_established['und'][0]['value']; if (!empty($e_original_date)) { $changed_date = strtotime($e_original_date); $new_date = date("d F Y", $changed_date); print '
Established date
'; print $new_date; } else{ print ''; }
Dedication date: 
1949-10-21
Dedication date
21 October 1949
Conflict/s
  • First World War, 1914–18
  • Second World War, 1939–45

Do you know more about this war memorial?

Help us record history by adding to its record.

Update this memorial