"A public road in memory of World War 1 veterans. (source: Newcastle City Council - Hunter Place Names and their Meaning, under 'M', 'Memorial Drive')
The road is approx 1.6 kilometres long, and marked with a 1 metre high triangular concrete tapered obelisk [damaged] at the corner of Memorial Drive, High Street and Cliff Street.
No official record of the dedication of the Drive is yet to be found. The Register would appreciate any community member with knowledge on the dedication of this Drive to contact us at email@example.com.
This memorial has been documented as "Anzac Memorial Drive" in the following collections. It is unknown when the name was changed to "Memorial Drive".
Samuel Wood, wholesale stationer, printer and bookseller : postcards, ca. 1920-1931, 260. Anzac Memorial Drive, Newcastle
(obelisk - west face) Opened ?? October 1922 H.P. Cornish Mayor
(obelisk - north east face) Memorial Drive
Help us record history by adding to its record.