The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
The memorial is a large square pillar, featuring a decorative column at each corner and a moulded dome-style top piece. It is mounted on three steps and is inscribed on its four sides. The main stone work is of Bowral trachyte.
The architects of the monument were Messrs. Morrow and De Putron of Sydney, NSW and the contractors were Messrs. E. L. Kingsley and Son of Lidcombe, NSW. It was originally designed as a drinking fountain but is no longer operational.
The memorial is located near the corner of Park and Elizabeth Streets, Sydney, at the entrance to Hyde Park.
FOR OUR KING AND COUNTRY
Presented to the City of Sydney by the Grand United Order of Oddfellows in honour and appreciation of the members who enlisted for active service in the Great War 1914–1919 and other conflicts.
In memory of 501 members of the Grand United Order of Oddfellows who made the supreme sacrifice 1914–1919. 'Their Name Liveth For Evermore' and the members who made the supreme sacrifice 1939–1945 and other conflicts.
In appreciation of the services rendered to God King and Country by the 3010 members of the Grand united Order of Oddfellows who served in the Great War 1914 - 1919. And the members who served in the Second World War 1939–1945, and other conflicts.
Erected by the Grand United Order of Oddfellows and unveiled by Major-Gen. Sir C.De L. Ryrie, K.C.M.G., C.B., V.B., E. L. Kingsley Grand Master, J. Bertram Cox Deputy Grand Master, George H. Sands Grand Secretary, 11th May 1921.