The memorial font is made up of three sandstone blocks worked by stone masons from a baptismal font. Three blocks consist of a base, a middle and a top. The middle section has the names written on to the sandstone, and later marble plaques with the names carved into the faces have been set into the relief sections on the faces of the stone. The top is worked from its square shape into a octagonal and is finished off by the setting of the baptismal font cup of marble into its centre.
The memorial font once sat in the church entrance. It was erected in July 1917 and was dedicated by the Dean of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney on 22 September the same year. Oatley Anglican Church (also known as St Paul’s Anglican Church, Oatley) donated the memorial font to the Anzac Memorial, Sydney in October 2017 for its collection, as part of the Anzac Memorial Centenary Project.
The top stone of font has an upper and lower inscription:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN LOVING MEMORY OF MEN FROM OATLEY WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflicts||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Gnr||George Ernest Albert||Agate||WW1||KIA||10117||AIF||4th Brig Fld Arty||Polygon Wood,Ypres||view|
|Pte||Harold Henry||Brown||WW1||KIA||425||AIF||20th Bn||Poelcappelle, Belg||view|
|Pte||Aubrey Clare||Chandler||WW1||Acc Kd||3054A||AIF||56th Bn||Armentieres, France||view|
|Cpl||William Ernest||Coleborne||WW1||KIA||4387||AIF||20th Bn||Passchendaele, Belg||view|
|Maj||William||Davidson||WW1||DOW||AIF||1st Bn HQ||Gallipoli, Turkey||view|
|Pte||George Ambrose||Dunn||WW1||DOW||3294A||AIF||6th Bn||Passchendaele, Belg||view|
|Spr||John David||Evans||WW1||DOD||3527||AIF||4th Aust Tunnel, Coy||Etaples, France||view|
|Cpl||Frederick||Fletcher||WW1||KIA||3310||AIF||55th Bn||Fromelles, France||view|
|Pte||George Adam||Fletcher||WW1||DOD||541||AIF||20th Bn||St. Omer, France||view|
|Pte||Percy Neville||Forrest||WW1||DOW||6253||AIF||19th Bn||Poelcappelle, Belg||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.