This War Memorial replaces the Baulkham Hills Shire War Memorial at Arthur Whitling Park, Corner Old Northern Rd and McMullen Avenue Castle Hill NSW. It was removed to allow construction of the North West Rail project’s Castle Hill station. The archived information for the old Baulkham Hills Shire War Memorial can be found here.
The memorial is located on the Corner of Wrights Rd and Harrington Avenue Castle Hill NSW and was dedicated at the Anzac Sunday service on 21st April 2013.
A Large Flag Pole stand behind the Stone of Remembrance, a huge white painted rock with the words LEST WE FORGET painted in black.
There were 340 Australians killed during the Korean War, and this plaque lists 43 veterans, who are classified as ‘Missing in Action’ (MIA) presumed dead and remain on the battle fields of Korea due to North Korea isolation policy.
For more information on the Korean War can be found on the Australian War Memorial web site.
The memorial has 11 bronze plaques attached to the surrounds of the structure:
1. This plaque to dedicate the new war memorial for Castle Hill was unveiled by The Honourable Barry O’Farrell MP, Premier of NSW on ANZAC Sunday, 21st April 2013.
2. In memory of Korea 1950 – 1956
3. Lest We Forget. Our comrades who remain on the battlefield of North Korea.
4. Australian Women’s Services
5. Royal Australian Air Force
6. Returned and Services League Australia
7. Australian Commonwealth Military Forces (Rising Sun Badge)
8. Royal Australian Navy
9. This memorial is dedicated to the men and women from the Electorate of Mitchell who have served in the Armed Forces of Australia and to those who paid the supreme sacrifice. Lest We Forget.
10. Australia Remembers 1945 – 1995. In remembrance of the men and women who served Australia in the time of conflict during World War 2. Lest We Forget.
11. MN Australia. (Merchant Navy)
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Pilot Officer||E D||Armit||Korea 1950/53||MIA 01.12.1951||22221||RAAF||77 Squadron||view|
|Corporal||J B||Ashe||Korea 1950/53||MIA 28.05.1953||3/3706||ARMY||2nd Battalion RAR||view|
|Private||E G||Bourke||Korea 1950/53||MIA 07.06.1953||2/401173||ARMY||2nd Battalion RAR||view|
|Private||F||Brady||Korea 1950/53||MIA 25.01.1953||4/400156||ARMY||3rd Battalion RAR||view|
|Flight Lieutenant||M A B H A||Browne - Gaylord||Korea 1950/53||MIA 27.01.1952||23665||RAAF||77 Squadron||view|
|Pilot Officer||P B||Chalmers||Korea 1950/53||MIA 26.03.1953||35079||RAAF||77 Squadron||view|
|Private||J K||Christie||Korea 1950/53||MIA 15.04.1953||5/2514||ARMY||3rd Battalion RAR||view|
|Lieutenant||K E||Clarkson||Korea 1950/53||MIA 05.11.1951||408969||RAN||Fleet Air Arm - 805 Squadron||view|
|Pilot Officer||M E||Colbrook||Korea 1950/53||MIA 13.04.1952||5895||RAAF||77 Squadron||view|
|Sub Lieutenant||R J||Coleman||Korea 1950/53||MIA 02.01.1952||RAN||Fleet Air Arm - 805 Squadron||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.