A commemorative park featuring the Kootingal War Memorial. The Memorial is a taperd pillar of stone and marble, bearing several honour rolls and plaques for the First and Second World Wars and Vietnam. Originally built in honour of those from Kootingal and distrct who served in the Great War, its foundation stone was laid on 19 November 1920.
On Saturday 19 March 1921, a patriotic function was held in the Kootingal Village, organised by the Kootingal and District Monument Committee to dedicate the park. In coverage of the event in the 22 March 1921 issue, the Northern Daily Leader reported "The proceedings commenced with the dedication and opening to the public of the enclosed grounds in the centre of which the monument has been erected ..."
Mr W. Baldwin, chairman of the Committee, called upon Councillor Peek to name the park 'Memory Park' and for the public to "always look upon it as sacred to the memory of all those who took part in the war."
Tamworth Regional Council
Help us record history by adding to its record.