Skip to main content

Anzac Rifle Range Memorial Gates, Malabar

Anzac Rifle Range Memorial Gates, Malabar
Anzac Rifle Range Memorial Gates - south facing
Anzac Rifle Range Memorial Gates - plaque 1
Anzac Rifle Range Memorial Gates - plaque 2
0 / 0
Description / Background

Anzac Rifle Range, Malabar, is one of the oldest continually active rifle ranges in the world. It was originally known as 'The Long Bay Rifle Range' in the late 1880s. With the closure of the Anzac Rifle Range at Liverpool in 1967, came the transfer of all rifle clubs from Liverpool to Long Bay. In 1970, the Long Bay Rifle Range changed its name to the Anzac Rifle Range, Malabar. 

One of the last items to be relocated to Malabar were the Liverpool Rifle Range Memorial Gates, which were originally constructed in 1954. In early 1978, the gates were moved to the Anzac Rifle Range, Malabar. The gates that stand today are a replica of the original gates, completed in 2016 in time for the Anzac service of 2016. The brickwork is the original brickwork moved across from Liverpool that has been repaired. There are two plaques on the gates.


Plaque 1

To all who pass this way may these memorial gates be a constant reminder of our riflemen of the services who did not return and who in voluntary service with their comrades of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps. were responsible for the glorious name 1914 - ANZAC - 1918

Erected 10th October 1954 as a tribute by fellow riflemen.

Plaque 2

In proud and grateful rememberance of members of the rifle clubs and comrades of the services who made the supreme sacrifice in the 1939 - World War II - 1945 and the campaign in Korea. Many of them trod the path which these memorial gates now span. 

Anzac Rifle Range

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Franklin Street
Malabar NSW 2036
Local Government Area
Randwick, City of
Location status
Memorial type
Recorded by
Eva Patrick
Year of construction
First World War, 1914–18
Second World War, 1939–45
Korean War, 1950–53