The Sir Leslie Morshead Memorial Fountain consists of 36 tall brass pipes, which are positioned vertically and fluted at the top. They are arranged in a tight circle, in the centre of shallow circular basin, lined with red tiles. Water cascades from the top of the pipes into the basin.
Surrounding the basin is a large concrete circle, constructed on an angle so as to slope away from the fountain in the middle. The inscription is inlaid into the concrete, around the edge of the basin. Positioned at regular intervals around the outside edge of the concrete circle are 20 low stone pillars. Two of these pillars bear the original dedication plaque from 1966 and the plaque dedicating the new fountainhead in 1983.
The memorial is located at an entrance to the Royal Botanic Gardens, opposite the State Library of NSW, Mitchell Library building.
This fountain was erected in remembrance of Lieutentant General Sir Leslie Morshead KCB, KBE, CMG, DSO, ED and all the men who served with him 1914-18 1939-45.
To a distinguised soldier and citizen Sir Leslie Morshead KCB, KBE, CMG, DSO, ED. This plaque was unveiled by His Excellency The Governor of NSW Sir Roden Cutler, VC, KCMG, CBE, on the occasion of the setting in operation of the fountain by Lady Morshead on 27th November, 1966. (Woodward, Taranto and Wallace - Architects)
New Fountainhead 1983 Phill Taranto Architect
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Campaign||Link|
|Lieutenant General||Leslie||Morshead||First World War, 1914–18, Second World War, 1939–45||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF), Australian Army - Second Australian Imperial Force (2nd AIF)||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.