The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
This memorial is a set of gates, featuring two honour roll plaques for the First World War. The gates consist of four pillars, two tall and two short, each topped with a hemisphere. The tall pillars are the centre pair, with one shorter pillar on either side.
The tall pillars are connected with a metal arch, which bears the words '1914–1918 In Remembrance'. Below the arch is a double swing gate, made from metal, with decorative scrollwork. Single gates with the same styling hang from both of the shorter pillars. This arrangement would have provided a larger entrance point for vehicles and two smaller entrances for pedestrians.
The honour rolls are attached to the front faces of the tall pillars. The plaque on the left pillar is inscribed with enlistees from the area. The plaque on the right pillar lists those who died and the details of the unveiling. Both plaques are topped with the emblem of the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces.
The gates are located on the site of the former Gilgooma Recreation Reserve, also known as the Recreation Grounds. They were built by district residents and unveiled on 8 August 1935 by Lieutenant Colonel Cuthbert Fetherstonhaug.
In more recent times, the gates have been refurbished and a protective fence has been installed across their front, preventing through-access.
This tablet was unveiled on
the 8th Aug 1935 by
Lieut. Col. C.M. Fetherstonhaugh