Skip to main content

Kellyville Memorial Hall (Demolished)

Kellyville Memorial Hall (Demolished)
Middle
Image
Kellyville Memorial Hall Site, Cnr Windsor Rd and Memorial Avenue
Image
Kellyville Memorial Hall Site, Cnr Windsor Rd and Memorial Avenue
Image
Bronze Plaque at the Kellyville Memorial Hall Site, Cnr Windsor Rd and Memorial Avenue
Image
Bronze Plaque at the Kellyville Memorial Hall Site, Cnr Windsor Rd and Memorial Avenue
Image
The Hills Shire Council - Kellyville Park, Memorial Avenue Kellyville
Image
Kellyville Memorial Hall 1924
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

Note: This hall has been demolished and replaced by a park and sporting fields. 

Former description

In 1924, Memorial Avenue in Kellyville, NSW, was opened, and named in honour of those who served in the First World War. Subsequently, the Kellyville Memorial Hall was built on the northern corner of the avenue and Windsor Road, as a further tribute to those who lost their lives in the conflict. Construction was funded through local fundraising and the hall was officially opened by Brigadier General C. F. Cox C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. VD in September that year.

Two honour rolls for the war were housed in the hall: the Kellyville First World War Roll of Honour and the Kellyville First World War Honour Roll. At the end of the Second World War, the Kellyville Second World War Roll of Honour was installed. These rolls were relocated at a later date. 

The hall was demolished in 1990, when Memorial Avenue was upgraded. The site was first converted for car parking, then turned into a park. Serving as a place of reflection, the park features a raised, circular garden that is surrounded by a paved walkway and native bushland. There is also a commemorative plaque attached to a large bushrock. The site was completely zoned 5(b) roads under Baulkham Hills Local Environmental Plan 2005, in preparation of future road widening. 

Inscription

Commemorative plaque

Kellyville Memorial Hall
Built 1924 – Demolished 1990
Officially Opened by Brigadier general C F Cox C.B. C.M.G. D.S.O. VD, September 1924.

The hall was built on this site as a memorial to those men who volunteered for service in World War 1, with some paying the supreme sacrifice. An Honour Roll listing their names was mounted in the hall.

Following the end of World War 2 a similar Honour Roll listing the names of the men and women who served in the Navy, Army and Air Force was included.

LEST WE FORGET

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
Kellyville Park
Cnr Windsor Road and Memorial Avenue
Kellyville NSW 2155
Local Government Area
The Hills Shire
Setting
Garden/park
Location status
Lost/destroyed
Memorial type
Building
Garden/park
Recorded by
Ronald L McIntosh
Year of construction
1924
Dedication date
20 September 1924
Conflict/s
First World War, 1914–18