The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
The honour boards are a set of four, comprising of two-piece, blackwood timber cases with glass inset doors. The glass is painted with a decorative design, surrounding the names, which are black ink, printed on paper, fixed to a felt backing.
The boards were produced by Railways staff, designed and made in the Carriage Workshops at Eveleigh. They were unveiled by Commissioner John Harper with 115 names listed, and attached to the north wall of the Sydney Station concourse (The Sydney Morning Herald,13 March 1916). As the First World War progressed, additional honour rolls were produced and displayed until there were over 1,200 names listed.
They were removed around 1960 and placed in storage. Dubbed the "Narrabeen" boards, they eventually went to the Igloo store, and awaited restoration works. Following this they were reinstated at the Central Station Grand Concourse and form part of the State Movable Collection managed by Transport Heritage NSW (T.H.N.S.W.).
NEW SOUTH WALES GOVERNMENT.
RAILWAYS AND TRAMWAYS
ROLL OF HONOUR
[NUMBER OF EMPLOYEES]
HIS MAJESTY'S AUSTRALIAN EXPEDITIONARY FORCES
THE UNDERMENTIONED HAVE
DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE
[Names and branches]
|Last held rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit at embarkation||Campaign||Read more|
|Private||A J||McSparron||First World War, 1914–18||Died of wounds (DOW)||289||Australian Army - First Australian Imperial Force (1st AIF)||18th Battalion||Somme 1916 - 1917||view|