Australian Women’s Army Service
Formed in 1941, the Australian Women's Army Service was the only non-medical women's service to be deployed on active service during the Second World War. Raised with the aim to "release men from certain military duties for employment in fighting units", volunteers trained in varied roles as drivers, cooks, butchers, typists and signallers.
The AWAS assisted in homefront defence and hundreds served internationally in New Guinea. When peace was declared in 1945, more than 24,000 had enlisted.