SCEGGS Darlinghurst, Great Hall (formerly St Peter's Anglican Church) Memorials

Description: 

In the former St Peter's Anglican Church, there are two stone wall-mounted memorial plaques dedicated to servicemen from WW1.  They are mounted above door height on the eastern end of the church on the southern aisle.

St Peter's Church was built in 1867.  It was deconsecrated in 1992 due to declining parish numbers and the parish amalgamated with St John's, Darlinghurst.  In 1993, SCEGGS Darlinghurst purchased the church and converted it into the school's Great Hall. 

 

Inscription: 

Gunner Charles Clive Bryant

In loving Memory of
Gunner Charles Clive Bryant
5th Field Artillery
Australian Imperial Forces
Died of wounds received in France
November 15th 1916.
Aged 19 years.
For God and for country.
Erected by the Western Travellers N.S.W.

Lieut James Edward Samuel Taylor

In loving memory of
Lieut James Edward Samuel Taylor
44th Battalion Australian imperial Force
Killed in Action
Near Armentieres in France
March 14th 1917. Aged 28 years.
Baptized in this church, a scholar in the Sunday School
This tablet is erected by his mother.

 

War: 

World War 1
 
Gunner C C Bryant plaqueLieut J E S Taylor plaqueThe intererior of the former St Peter's Anglican Church
 

Recorded By: 

Prudence Heath
 

Location / Surrounding Area: 

SCEGGS Darlinghurst Great Hall
 

Address Data: 

150 Bourke St
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
 
 

Community contribution

Help us record NSW memorials and those veterans commemorated at each memorial.

Here’s how