Skip to main content

St Peter's Church War Memorial Chapel Tablet, SCEGGS Darlinghurst

St Peter's Church War Memorial Chapel Tablet, SCEGGS Darlinghurst
Middle
Image
SCEGGS Darlinghurst, Great Hall (formerly St Peter's Church), St Peter's War Memorial Chapel
0 / 0
-
Description / Background

On 3 December 1944, Major-General Fewtrell opened a War Memorial Chapel on the northern side of the then St Peter's Church of England in East Sydney. The same day, The Sun newspaper reported:

To commemorate the sacrifice of Sister [Doris] Joyce Wylie, drowned after the hospital ship Centaur had been sunk by enemy action, relatives and friends have presented a Communion table and fittings to the War Memorial Chapel at St Peter’s Church, East Sydney.

In 1993, when SCEGGS Darlinghurst purchased the church, the only remnant of the chapel was this tablet. The inscription states the chapel was established in honour of all who served, and was gifted in memory of Private William Vincent Place.

Inscription

This Chapel has been set apart, in thankful remembrance of the men and women who rendered active service during this war and who had an association with this church. Their self-sacrifice courage and effort have aided in saving the world from an evil domination.

This tablet presented in memory of Pte. W. V. Place 13th Aust. Gar. Bat. who died 14th Aug. 1943 was unveiled on Sunday, 3rd December 1944.

By Major-General A.C. Fewtrell, C.B., D.S.O., V.D.

Gordon J.S. King – Rector

Veterans listed on this memorial

Last held rank Given name Family name Conflict/s Service No. Service Campaign Read more
Pte W V Place World War 2 N218842 Australian Army Thursday Island, Torres Strait view
Sister D J Wyllie Second World War, 1939–45 NFX138687 Australian Army Nursing Service view

Do you know more about this war Memorial?

Click here to learn how you can contribute
Sidebar
Address
SCEGGS Great Hall
215 Forbes Street
Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Local Government Area
Sydney, City of
Memorial type
Board/roll/plaque/tablet
Recorded by
Prudence Heath. Photograph courtesy of Jane Kelly.
Year of construction
1944
Dedication date
03 December 1944
Conflict/s
Second World War, 1939–45