A memorial dedicated to the 'place of farewell' for World War One soldiers; established by their mothers and wives.
A sandstone structure with enclosed trachyte plaque together with a drinking fountain. A circular plaque depicts a sprig of rosemary, and an eternal flame has been added to the top of the main face.
The architects for the memorial were H. Budden and C. Greenwell
The memorial was dedicated by the Governor General of Australia on ANZAC Day 1922.
This memorial was resited from a position 30m east of the Sydney Fleet Base in 1988.
The top photograph was taken by Architect Mr Andrew Howell and used with his permission.
To commemorate the place of farewell to the soldiers who passed through the gates opposite for the Great War 1914 1919
Erected by the women of NSW under the auspices of the Centre for Soldiers Wives and Mothers
Help us record history by adding to its record.