A German 15cm sFH13 heavy field Howitzer manufactured in 1917 by Friedrich Drupp. Part of the German arsenal, this gun was captured near Weincourt d'Equipee, France by the 57th Battalion 1st Australian Imperial Force on 8 August 1918.
From the Senior Curator at the Australian War Memorial (AWM):
The AWM Board of Trustees approved the permanent loan of the gun to Moss Vale Apex Club in 1969. The gun was delivered in 1970. On 29 July 1997 the Wingecarribee Shire Council approached the AWM asking that as the Apex Club no longer existed, the loan be transferred to the Council, so that it could be restored. The AWM instead offered to transfer ownership to the Council, in a letter of 6 August 1997. This offer was accepted by the Council in a letter of 28 January 1998 from Charles W Dunlop, Director Technical Services. The AWM then notified Mr Dunlop of the transfer of ownership in a letter from M. Etzel to Mr Dunlop of 21 April 1998. AWM file 98/2123.
This gun was one of a battery of four that were captured. Two of the four are in Ballarat.
Memorial does not include inscription.
Help us record history by adding to its record.