The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
Two simple brass plaques are attached to a white marble slab. The larger plaque has an image of the Battalion's colours, below a single cross at the top and a series of three crosses below the main inscription. The lettering is engraved and blackened. The smaller plaque below contains the dedication details.
The memorial is attached to a side wall of St Andrew's Cathedral in Sydney. It is located next to the Great War Memorial, St Andrew's Cathedral.
To the Glory of God and in honourof those men who served in 2/1st Australian Infantry Battalion (City of Sydney Regiment) 6th Division in World War II 1939–45 and particularly to those who paid the supreme sacrifice.
Middle East. Bardia. Tobruk. Greece. Crete. Kokoda Track. Aitape-Wewak.
Unveiled by Major General PA Cullen AC, CBE, DSO, ED. FCA. and dedicated by the Very Reverend Boak Jobbins 23rd November 1997