The memorial is a circular brass plaque, dedicated to four men of the New South Wales Contingent who died serving in Soudan (Sudan) in March–June 1885. The plaque features a cut-out of a Maltese Cross, with a small artillery piece inscribed in the centre. The dedication and names are engraved on the arms of the cross and the circular edge of the plaque. Most of the letters have been coloured black, with some highlighted in red.
The memorial is located inside St Andrew's Cathedral in Sydney, NSW. It was unveiled on 26 February 1888 and the service was covered in detail in The Sydney Morning Herald the following day.
NEW SOUTH WALES FIELD BATTERY SOUDAN 1885
Erected by the Officers, Non-Commissioned. Officers, Gunners, Drivers & Trumpeters of the Field Battery N.S.W.A. [New South Wales Artillery] Soudan, 1885.