The memorial font is made up of three sandstone blocks, worked by stone masons to form a baptismal font. The three blocks create the base, middle and top sections. The middle has the names inscribed on the sandstone, and later marble plaques with the names carved into the faces have been set into the relief sections on the faces of the stone. The top was worked from its square shape into an octagon. It is finished with the placement of the marble baptismal font cup in the centre of the top face.
The memorial font once sat in the church entrance. It was erected in July 1917 and was dedicated by the Dean of St Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney on 22 September the same year. Oatley Anglican Church (also known as St Paul’s Anglican Church, Oatley) donated the memorial font to the Anzac Memorial, Hyde Park in October 2017, for its collection as part of the Anzac Memorial Centenary Project.
TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN LOVING MEMORY OF MEN FROM OATLEY WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
|Rank||Given Name||Family Name||Conflict/s||Fate||Service No.||Service||Unit||Campaign||Link|
|Pte||Arthur William||Whatling||WW1||DOW||1437||AIF||2nd Bn||Somme, France||view|
|Pte||Frank Derwent||Thompson||WW1||DOD||335||AIF||19th Bn||Etretat, France||view|
|WO||Harry Fenton||Stead||WW1||KIA||539||AIF||3rd Bn||Pozieres, France||view|
|Pte||Stanley James||Pickering||WW1||KIA||6785||AIF||1st Bn||Passchendaele, Belg||view|
|Pte||Henry Francis||Perry||WW1||KIA||6164||AIF||21st Bn||Bullecourt, France||view|
|Pte||Robert Cooper James||Murray||WW1||DOW||5747||AIF||1st Bn||Somme, France||view|
|Sgt||Archibald||McMillan||WW1||DOD||2940||AIF||45th Bn||Durban, South Africa||view|
|Pte||Henry||Lloyd-Jones||WW1||KIA||1665||AIF||4th Bn||Gallipoli, Turkey||view|
|Sgt||William||Lemon||WW1||KIA||1977||AIF||4th Bn||Gallipoli, Turkey||view|
|Pte||William John||Kendall||WW1||KIA||3117||AIF||53rd Bn||Fromelles, France||view|
Help us record history by adding to its record.