The NSW War Memorials Register is undergoing essential maintenance. Submissions are not being accepted at this time. Read more here. We apologise for the inconvenience.
This memorial hall is constructed of brick, with a high front facade. The foundation stone was laid on Saturday 11 June 1938, and the event was reported in detail by The Inverell Times on 17 June. The hall was opened later that year on 16 September, by Councillor H.A. Black, President of the former Ashford Shire. Some 500 to 600 people attended the official opening, including a representative of the Returned Sailor's and Soldiers Imperial League of Australia.
By January 1937, progress had been made towards establishing the hall. It was to have a dancing area, supper room, library and reading room, as well as a lockup shop.
At a meeting of the School in Arts in May 1937, a resolution was passed to mortgage the land and to apply for an advance from the Building Relief Agency.
The tender was awarded to Inverell builder R. Delbridge in April 1938.
In memory of those
who fell in the Great War
This stone was laid by
R.A. Black Esq.
11th June 1938