This memorial hall is located in the rural village of Bonshaw. It is typical of community halls built throughout the country in the early twentieth century. It is of weatherboard construction and has a sign above the entrance with the name of the hall.
Access to the hall is available by appointment.
There was a Bonshaw Hall by early 1917. In the 1920s, a Bonshaw Memorial Hall Trust was formed, and funds were raised through sports and other social occasions. Mr A. Hallam gave the land for the hall and it was built at a cost of £600. The timber hall measured 60 feet by 30 feet when complete.
On Friday 19 June 1925, the hall was opened by Mr Drummond M.L.A. at a grand ball. In his speech he congratulated the Farmers and Settlers Association for their work, and mentioned the late J.A. Robertson, who was one of the first to start the memorial movement. The Inverell Times reported on the event in its issue of 26 June. Shortly after, the hall was gazetted on 3 July 1925.
In early August 1953, Ashford Shire Council approved the re-building of the hall. It was extensively remodelled, including the provision of electricity and lights. The improvements cost about £1,600. The new hall was officially opened by Mr V.P. Newlands, the Bonshaw postmaster, at a ball on Saturday 20 March. A detailed report on the development of the hall appeared in The Inverell Times on 22 March.
Bonshaw Memorial Hall
Help us record history by adding to its record.